Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Waiting on Insulin...

Yesterday I did a site change after my breakfast bolus. The number of units I was able to use from that change? 2.3 units. Yes, I was that low on insulin.

Because of a bunch of factors, including some insulin going bad in the Central California heat last month, a nurse calling in the wrong prescription to my mail order pharmacy, and general incompetence by said mail order pharmacy, I was making my current supply of insulin last as long as possible.

Actually, I had amazing numbers last week because I was watching my carb intake, and avoiding highs, which would require larger amounts of insulin to correct.

However, my luck ran out Tuesday morning. I couldn't possibly make it through the day, much less the morning with 2.3 units of insulin. (By the way, I didn't realize how much insulin it takes to prime a pump! What a waste!!) My order of 5 vials of Humalog was due to arrive the following afternoon. Argh!

I called my two favorite people in the world right now, (other than you, honey!) June and Michelle, the CDEs at the Diabetes and Pregnancy Group. Michelle called me back as soon as she got into work and put in a prescription for one vial at my local pharmacy.

By 10 a.m. I was up and running with new insulin, and a much happier disposition. :)

If you have a minute, check out my latest post at HealthCentral.com. It chronicles my quest to Prepare my body for baby.

I'm now 17 weeks along, and the baby is the size of a large avocado!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    17 weeks! Wow, it's gone by fast (well, maybe not for you!). Do you have a bump yet?

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Whew! That was a close call!

    I've been enjoying your work over at HC!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    It's weird to think that I'm half way through the pregnancy, but then again, it sort of feels like I've been pregnant forever already. All of the extra appointments and heightened care really distort the time.

    I do have a bump! I'm wearing maternity clothes almost exclusively now :) Luckily it's a great time to be pregnant, clothes-wise... lots of cute stuff!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home